Published on Saturday, 11 July 2015 14:13
Written by SORM
The scientific research of the Seismological Observatory of the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics in Skopje includes projects, publishing papers and monographs, oral or poster presentations of investigations at conferences, as well as manuscripts that are being collected in the Archive of the observatory.
The subjects of interest are in the fields of seismology, physics of the Earth's interior, geophysics and related scientific disciplines. They are the following:
- methods of seismological monitoring,
- methods of earthquake parameters determination,
- methods of cataloguing of historic and recent earthquakes,
- mechanics of continuum,
- rupture mechanics,
- investigation of local and regional seismicity parameters,
- seismic wave propagation with modeling of structure and physical conditions of local and regional Earth's crust,
- macroseismic field parameters,
- earthquake source mechanics,
- strong-motion seismology,
- seismic hazard and seismic zoning,
- correlations between the seismicity and Earth’s magnetic field changes.
It should be mentioned that two maps in the field of seismic hazard and seismic zoning, in which preparation the researchers from the observatory participated, have entered into formal, legally regulated use: D. Hadžievski, M. Arsovski T. Mitrov, Карта на сеизмичко реонирање на Македонија (Map of Seismic Zoninig of Macedonia), Skopje, 1976; M. Jorgić, В. Šupić, V. Kuk, D. Hadžievski, L. Pekevski, V. Ribarić, M. Vukašinović, Seizmološka karta SFRJ za povratni period od 50 godina (Seismological Map of SFRY for a Return Period of 50 years), Zajednica za seismologiju SFRJ, Beograd (Association for seismology of SFRY, Belgrade), 1987.
The observatory has performed individually or participated in over 20 research projects, of which only seven are national (with duration from
one to five years), and the rest are international and bilateral (with duration from one to seven years).
The most important scientific projects in the last ten years are given bellow.
- Geomagnetic measurements and quality standards, TEMPUS Project, IB_JEP–17072-2002, Štip, Macedonia, 2003–2006. Project Co-Directors: Jean L. Rasson (Royal Meteorological Institute, Belgium), Gerald Duma (Central Institute for Meteorology and Geodynamics, Vienna, Austria), Giuliano Bellieni (University of Padova, Padova, Italy), Todor Delipetrov (Faculty of Mining and Geology, Štip, Macedonia).
- DIRECTE 2 –Development of Infrastructure for Rapid Earthquake Data Collection and Exchange. А Slovak – Macedonian project, UNESCO Programme Slovac Aid, 2004–2005. Project C (Geophysical Institute, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava) and Lazo Pekevski (Seismological Observatory of the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics in Skopje).
- Istraživanje anizotropije brzine seizmičkih valova na području Makedonije (Research of the anisotrophy of the seismic wave velocity in the territory of Republic of Macedonia), 2005–2006. Bilateralni projekt Hrvatska – Makedona, Sveučilište u Zagrebu i Sveučilište “Sv. Kiril i Metodij” u Skoplju. Voditelji: Marijan Herak i Lazo Pekevski. (A bilateral project Croatia – Macedonia, University of Zagreb and Ss. Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje. Project C: Marijan Herak, A Geophysical Institute of the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics in Zagreb, and Lazo Pekevski, Seismological Observatory of the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics in Skopje.)
- Истражување на можностите за создавање на мрежа за процена на ризикот од земјотреси и нивното краткорочно претскажување во подрачјето на Балканот и Црното Море (Exploring of the possibilities for creation of a network for earthquake risk assessment and short-term earthquake prediction in the regions of the Balkans and the Black Sea), 2005–2006. (A Macedonian–Bulgarian project. Project C Strachimir Mavrodiev, INRNE, BAS, Sofia, Bulgaria, and Lazo Pekevski, Seismological Observatory at the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics – Skopje.)
- Deterministic seismic hazard analysis and zonnation of the territory of Republic of Macedonia. Project Coordinators: D. Dojčinovski, L. Pekevski, G. F. Panza. CEI, Trieste, Italy, 2007-2008.
- Deterministic seismic hazard analysis and zonnation of the territory of Republic of Macedonia. Project Coordinators: D. Dojčinovski, L. Pekevski, G. F. Panza. CEI, Trieste, Italy, 2009-2010.
- Complex Research of Earthquake’s Forecasting Possibilities, Seismicity and Climate Change Correlations – acronym BlackSeaHazNet, FP7 MCA PROJECT PIRSES-GA-2009-246874, 2011–2012. Coordinator: S. Mavrodiev, INRNE, BAS, Sofia, Bulgaria; National Coordinator for R. Macedonia: L. Pekevski, Seismological Observatory at the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics – Skopje.