The organization and the development of activities in the field of seismology in the Republic of Macedonia have extensively been related to the development of the historic and political conditions in the Balkans.
The larger geographic region of Macedonia was the last of the Balkan territories that had been liberated from the Turks in 1912–1913. Until then, the seismological observation in Macedonia had been reduced to compilation of macroseismic data on felt strong earthquakes by the Turkish administration or individual foreign investigators, among whom Jelenko Mihailović from the Seismological Service of Serbia and Spas Vacov from the Central Meteorological Station in Sofia, Bulgaria.
After the Balkan Wars (1912–1913), a part of Macedonia, called by its geographical name of Vardar Macedonia, became a part of Serbia, and, after the World War I, a part of the Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenians (named the Kingdom Yugoslavia in 1929). It was in 1913 that the Seismological Service of Serbia began to extend officially its activities in Vardar Macedonia.
In 1944, Republic of Macedonia was established in the territory of VardarMacedonia as one of the six constituent republics of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. After the disintegration of this federal country, complete independence of Republic of Macedonia was proclaimed in 1991.
In 1949, the Seismological Survey in Belgrade, which then acted as a Federal Yugoslav Seismological Survey, with Prof. Jelenko Mihailović (1869–1956) as its director, launched an initiative for establishment of several new seismological stations, among which was the one in Skopje. The necessary instruments were procured from abroad. Prof. Jelenko Mihailović, together with other experts, selected a location for the station in the Kisela Voda settlement in Skopje, over the northeast slopes of the VodnoMountain, on limestone of Paleozoicage, where the present seat building of the Seismological Observatory is. This initiative was not realized, since the Seismological Survey in Belgrade ceased to function as a Federal Seismological Yugoslav Survey, resuming its activities as Seismological Survey of Serbia.
The establishment of seismological service in Republic of Macedonia was again on the agenda in 1953, again within the frameworks of the proposal for several new seismological stations in the territory of Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, given by the Federal Executive Council. The Executive Council of the Republic of Macedonia accepted the proposal. The construction of the station and the procurement of the equipment were entrusted to the Faculty of Philosophy in Skopje, exactly to its Department of Physics.
In the beginning of 1954, the Faculty of Philosophy in Skopje sent Ordan Pečijare (a physicist) and Gigo Milevski (a geographer) to take over the formerly intended equipment for the seismological station in Skopje from the Seismological Survey of Serbia. On 29 June 1955, the University Council made a decision for establishment of the Seismological Station in Skopje, as an institution within the University of Skopje. The decision was accepted by the Executive Council and the Parliament of the Republic of Macedonia. The University Council appointed the geographer Gigo Mileski first acting director of the station. Soon, Gigo Milevski completed advanced training in seismology at the Seismological Survey of Serbia.
The building of the Seismological Station in Skopje in 1957. The location is on the northeast slopes of the mountain Vodno, in the Kisela Voda settlement.